Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vegan Tuna Salad

I am in the process of moving, and have almost packed away my entire kitchen. I looked in my pantry and saw my food processor was still out! Craving a nice spring time sandwich- I put my thinking cap on. I have had other vegan tuna mixtures made with almonds and root vegetables, but I had none of that on hand. I had to make this with the small amount of food I had left in my old house. After pulling out what fresh vegetables I had left (as you can see not much), I made this “tuna” salad. It was quite good, and even better the next day. This is a BIG recipe, have a few guests or plan several meals.


Vegan Tuna Salad

2 cans chickpeas
1 large bunch green onions
4 celery stalks with the leafy tops
1-2 large dill pickle(s) depending on taste
1/3 cup vegan mayo
3 tbs mustard (your favorite type)
1 tbs granulated garlic
1 tsp kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Start by draining the chickpeas and adding to a food processor. Wiz the beans for 1-2 seconds and repeat until the beans are broken up (do not cream or mash, just break them up)- this should take no more than 6-8 seconds . Dice the celery with the leafy tops, add to the mixture. Chop the green onions and pickles and add. Now, slowly combine the rest of the ingredients to taste. Some will like more “mayo” some will like less. I like less with extra mustard!

Once the “tuna” is done, chill it for an hour. I served mine over thick whole wheat bread, red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, and avocados. I sprinkled some diced jalapeno for a little kick!

Combine this with a nice Kona Lager!



No comments:

Post a Comment