Friday, July 22, 2011

Vegan Spanish Rice

This is a go to dish for me. I can make a HUGE batch and eat it for a week. I’ll have tacos and rice one night, rice for lunch the next day and so on! This is the recipe I use. I know there are many more out there and I am sure some better than mine. The beauty of this recipe, you can adjust it any way you see fit! Please, play with the recipe and post crazy changes you have made!

Vegan Spanish Rice

2 cups white rice
1 cup broken vermicelli pasta
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 chopped tomatoes
1 chopped onion (finely chopped)
3 cloves garlic chopped
½ bunch of chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno chopped
6 oz tomato sauce
5 cups of water

In a large skillet, add the oil and heat. When the oil is hot add the rice and pasta. Cook for 2-3 minutes constantly stirring. When the rice and pasta begin to brown, add the seasoning, onions, garlic, jalapeno and cook for 30 seconds. Next, add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes.

You’re done! You have yummy, spicy Spanish rice.

Tip- if using brown rice, please adjust water and cooking times.

No comments:

Post a Comment