Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Vegan Coconut Cake

To me, nothing says Easter time treats like a thick slice of coconut cake! I made this cake for Easter 2011 and it turned out AMAZING, sort of. This cake ended up on the floor due to my two left feet and a dog that would not leave me along. How do I know it turned out amazing- because I ate a piece off of the floor- that’s right, I have NO SHAME. Anyway, this is a great, rich, tasty spring time treat! Enjoy!




Cake:
8 ounces silken tofu
2 1/3 cups sugar
2 cups coconut milk (from the can)
12 ounces coconut flakes
1 cup canola oil
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda


Icing:
2 cups soy margarine
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 cups shredded coconut
Directions


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Put first 5 ingredients the bowl of a food processor and puree until thick and uniform in texture. Add last 3 ingredients and process until incorporated. Pour batter into 2 (9-inch) parchment lined cake pans that have been coated with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for about 1 hour. It is very important that you line the pan with parchment paper, this cake tend to stick.


For the icing, mix ingredients until incorporated. Spread on cooled cake. Add the coconut after you have frosted! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment