Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Vegan Sheppard’s Pie

I have made this dish many, many times. This vegan version of the British classic is always a hit. I have an English friend who has lived in the states the last few years. When I mentioned the Sheppard’s pie at work, he was quite curious about it- and how it would taste. So, I went home that night and made a huge portion of it. The next day, armed with a container filled with the pie for his lunch, I went to work ready to be judged by the British native. Judged I was, he loved it.
I made this recipe for Christmas 2010 and took it to my fathers. When I put my “vegan” food on the able, one of the guests marked it as “vegan” as if it had the Bubonic plague in it. Guess what was consumed first? That’s right, the proudly vegan non plague carrying Sheppard’s pie.

1 tbsp  earth balance butter
1 bottle of Kona Longboard beer
 5  large russet potatoes, peeled (4 lbs purchased)
 1 can  corn
1 can peas
 1/2 cup  low fat soy or almond milk
 2 tbsp  soy sauce
 2 cups  chopped celery
 1/4 tsp  paprika
 1/2 tsp  salt
 2 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
 2 pkgs  vegan meatless ground beef
 3—4 tbsp  olive oil
 2 tsp  tarragon
 6 cloves  garlic, minced
 1/2 tsp  pepper
 2 cups  diced onion
 1/2 tsp  white or black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cut each potato into thirds and cook in boiling water until tender. Meanwhile, in skillet, sautĂ© onion, garlic and celery in oil over medium-high heat until soft. Next add the beer, vegan ground beef, vegan Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, tarragon, salt, pepper and mix thoroughly. Transfer Veggie Ground Round mixture to sprayed or lightly oiled 9 x 13" casserole dish. Spread mixture and pack evenly. Spread corn and peas mixture. Drain potatoes, add “butter”, “milk”, salt, pepper; mash until fluffy. Spread potato over corn and sprinkle with paprika.
Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Beer: Chimay, Allagash or High Life (yes, a 12 pack of High Life is $6.99 at Target, and its good on a super hot day or with a heavy meal OR when I am being super cheap).

No comments:

Post a Comment