Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Vegan “Curry” Chili

This is my go to super fast (or slow) multi meal chili recipe! When people think of chili, thoughts of spicy beef and beans come to mind. Not me. When I was growing up, the chili I was raised on was my grandfathers. He, being a man of very few words and a man who never cooked- well, he could KILL a pot of pinto beans (and turn it in to chili the next day)….I would never, ever try to replicate his chili, because it is perfect! My grandfather has passed away, and that chili is one of my most fond memories of dinner at his house (my second most ford memory is my grandmother taking the left over chili, wrapping it in a tortilla and deep frying it, but that another blog post).
This recipe, being my very own has been inspired over the years by my grandfather’s chili. You can easily change up any of the ingredients to make it your own. This is the quick recipe, so it uses pre-cooked canned beans. In the winter, when I have more time, I make fresh beans.

Vegan “Curry” Chili
1 can white beans with water
1 large can pinto beans with water
1 can kidney beans with water
1 bag frozen lima beans
1 bag frozen chopped okra (or 1 lb fresh and chopped)
1 quart vegetable broth.
1 large onion copped
2 serrano chilis or jalapenos
3 tbs garlic minced
6 tbs curry mixture (your favorite- click to see mine)
3 tbs chili powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 large red bell pepper chopped
1 can stewed tomatoes
2-3 large fresh tomatoes chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot, add the oil, onion, red bell pepper cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add all the spices and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on high heat until boiling- then reduce heat to medium low. Let simmer for 30-45 minutes. It’s ready to eat! SUPER SIMPLE huh?
Tip: taste the chili as you go, add more spices as you see fit. I like mine super spicy.

I like to pair this dish with Great White (lost coast), Hoegaarden, a PBR in the bottle!



No comments:

Post a Comment