Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vegan Pistachio Pesto

This is the simplest pesto you’ll ever make. There are so many vegan recipes out there that call for miso, more yeast and a list of other ingredients. After trying many, this is my favorite- and it take about 5 minutes to make. I like this with pasta, mixed with root vegetables, served on bread or dip sweet potato fries In (the uses are endless)…I hope you try this one soon. FYI- to keep costs low, you can make enough pesto to feed four VERY hungry people for about $7.00 if you get the ingredients at Trader Joes…oh, and by hungry- I mean HUNGRY- and trust me, my friends and I can eat. This recipe below is good for about two very hungry people with enough left over for lunch the next day.

Vegan Pistachio Pesto

1 cup pistachio bits (Trader Joes has the cheapest)
¼ to ½ cup olive oil
1 small bunch basil (about 20 leaves)
3 tbs garlic
1 tbs nutritional yeast (you may omit- I do)
Salt and pepper to taste

Add all the ingredients except the oil to a food processor, blend on high. Slowly add the oil until you get a texture that you like. Once you do, add salt and pepper. That’s it. Super Simple.

While you were prepping, you could have started a pot of water to cook some pasta! If so, try paring this pasta dish with a glass of Revolution Wines Pinot Grigio or a crisp pint of Czech Lager.  



No comments:

Post a Comment